The Whampoa (Huangpu) Military Academy Memorial Hall, located on Whampoa Changzhou Island, was established in June 1984 in memory of the Whampoa Military Academy.
The Military Academy was a military and political school founded by Sun Yat-sen in 1924 with the help of the Soviet Union and the Chinese Communist Party. Sun Yat-sen was the director, Jiang Zhongzheng was the principal, and Liao Zhongkai was the party representative. With the aim of creating a revolutionary army to save China, the military academy formed a school spirit of “friendship, unity and cooperation, love for the nation and the people, no fear for sacrifice”. The teachers and students in the school played an important role in defeating the warlords and their feudal forces during the Great Revolution. They made especially great contributions in the Northern Expedition.
The Military Academy was moved to Nanjing in September 1930, Chengdu in August 1937, and Taiwan on the eve of national liberation in 1949. In 1938, the school headquarters was destroyed by invading Japanese military planes. The existing Military Academy includes the school headquarters (reconstructed in 1996), the Sun Yat-sen memorial room, a monument to Sun Yat-sen, a club, a swimming pool, the tomb of the martyrs of the Eastern Expedition, the Northern Expedition monument, the Baihegang Fort, and the Dapodi Fort.